Thursday, October 1, 2009

Shock of my Life



I was showing my colleague, Arlyn, my burns in both hands; while cooking last Saturday. To my surprise she noticed something in my wrist instead. The marble-piece-like in my right wrist next to my bone.

"What is this"
"Oh, swollen bone! I must have bumped somewhere";
"No, this is a cyst!"

My other colleague, Joy, took a look and confirmed;
"It is a cyst".
She touched it and "see its fluid and it moves"

I was surprised. For 2 weeks or so, Ive noticed this "so called swelling"; or so I thought and since it does not pain at-all, I was under the impression that this is just one evidence of my clumsiness and must have bumped somewhere causing it to swell..



Then it hit me. I never cared because I have zero knowledge. I have to have this checked ASAP. And so I did. After work, I immediately went to New Medical Center (my 2nd visit this month ), I waited for 45 minutes, then met Dr Imad. He is not an Indian, nor a Pakistani. Im guessing he is a Lebanese or an Egyptian - defintely an Arab hu can speak great English.
Without further adue - "This is a cyst; No doubt"
"Are you sure, how do we verify this"
"90% visibility, its cyst; but we'll go for xray, then schedule you for the operation"
" This is nothing serious but still has to go under a minor operation,"
Im oh soo expecting this, all the while Ive been listening keenly to Joy, whom had an operation in her boobs to extract 3-as in -3 cysts. So im ready. No tension.
I went for x-ray and results will be out on Saturday.. mmmm....
I hurried home and goggled. According to Mr Wikipedia - its called a Ganglion Cyst - the one found in the wrists. It is Idiopatic, which means the cause is somehow unknown. But most women get this. And its recurring. ---- Only this much I can take. Heaven knows how I hate medical terms and all (ironic that I belong to a family obsessed by Medicine) so I focused on the treatment.
Surgical.
That is the only treatment. ok.
My first operation ever - that too in Dubai..
Interesting, just so interesting.
Well, I know our Good Lord believes I can do this, so Im excited to have this done and get over with.

Better and tough days ahead... Hakuna Matata!!

No comments:

Post a Comment